Wednesday 22 September 2010

Across Scotland the hard way,,,,,,,,,,,,

After every race, one of the first things I like to do is look at, A; what went well, then B; what didn't go so well, and C; where I can improve for next time, irrespective of my result?.......

Well, short of beating my quads with a baseball bat every night before I go to bed, I don't think there is much more I could have done to prepare me for the pain endured in order to finish the Nokia Coast 2 Coast.

Here's a look at how the race went down:

I'd spent a lot of time preparing for this event, and the image of the finish line sat at the front of my mind all week. Was it going to be my day, and would I be the first to cross it?...




Once we had packed the van up with bikes, kit, food and bedding, it was time for Suze and I to hit the road in our shiny Buff / sueMe team van








Not before picking up a little fuel on the way, in fact this was the first of many stops during our mammoth 1200+ mile road trip, without Buffs' help I just wouldn't have got there




After arriving safely and in comfort, we were up at 5.30am for an early breakfast before the 7am start. (Suze must really love me to go through all that)




Once the gun went off, I stuck to my game plan for about 30 seconds, then reverted to a more typical Macca one of "if in doubt, go flat out!"




Feeling good at 7 miles just before the first transition. Suze let me know I'd got 45 seconds on 2nd place





At the 20mile mark, my lead was up to 3 minutes and I was feeling pretty strong, despite my hands being too cold to change gear!





The first paddle was a super quick affair and at the start of the off road bike I was 7 minutes clear. At that point I decided to ride safely over the rough stuff and not risk any crashes or flats, today was all about "first finishing", then "finishing in first"


Into the final big transition and Suze said I "looked good and had 10 minutes at least". I felt smashed and told her she could ebay my bike! As quickly as I could manage, I got my gear together for the final 14m run across the mountains.


The mountain run took me an hour longer than I'd estimated, and by the end I wasn't in such a positive state, drinking from streams and puddles to manage to press on over the final pass, and down to the last kayak stage






After 8hrs 55minutes and 45long seconds, I crossed the line first in the one day race, a tired and emotional man





Once warmed up and with a little food inside me, I went to receive my prizes, and the rather nice nick-name from the race organisor "the human rocket!"




Winning the Nokia coast2coast has finally put me back where I want to be, a happy and successfull athelete, with great support from sponsors, and a partner in every sense of the word. Without either I simply couldn't have done it. I guess the only question now is. . .
. . . can I go "sub9" in 2 weeks time?